Sunday 9 June 2013

Meal planning Monday (or late Sunday)



If I’m going to get back to blogging, I should really get back to meal planning as well.

I’m actually pretty good at meal planning and even have a monthly plan for June written already.  The problem is we haven’t actually been following it.

Well that’s not entirely true, it has been a good guide and we even managed to have some of the meals from the plan but I really need to get stricter on myself and follow the plan which means I can keep to the shopping list and the grocery budget.  

I’m also changing the plan I had, as a lot of the meals were made from scratch.  While I prefer to make all the foods my family and myself eat from scratch, I’m finding the energy for such things are disappearing the further into this pregnancy I get. With just over two months to go I rather spend the time and energy on my two kids than the extra time to make fresh pasta.

So this is the weeks meals.

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Snacks
Monday
Cereal, Fruit, Yoghurt and Toast
Spaghetti on Toast
Chicken & Vegetable pie
Mandarins, kiwi fruit, biscuits and homemade muesli bars
Tuesday
Cereal, Fruit, Yoghurt and Toast
Sandwiches and fruit
Enchiladas on rice
Munchies Platter – Cheese, Salami, Crackers and fruit
Wednesday
Cereal, Fruit, Yoghurt and Toast
Mini Pizzas
Filo Parcels with homemade chutney
Fruit kebabs with yoghurt dipping sauce
Thursday
Cereal, Fruit, Yoghurt and Toast
Fruit smoothies
Chicken curry with homemade Nann bread
Shapes, biscuits, mandarins and bananas
Friday
Cereal, Fruit, Yoghurt and Toast
Homemade sausage rolls
Loaded Hotdogs
Fresh vegs and hummus dips and homemade crackers
Saturday
Cereal, Fruit, Yoghurt and Toast
Savoury Monkey Bread
Roast (what kind of meat depends on what’s the cheapest when I go shopping) with potatoes and a winter salad
Fresh fruit, biscuits, homemade pastries
Sunday
Cereal, Fruit, Yoghurt and Toast
Paninis
Sausage casserole with spiced coscos
Fresh fruit, cruskits, and biscuits.


I will also make chocolate self-saucing pudding, fruit and custard, and crepes with cooked fruit and syrup for dessert during the week, but we don’t have dessert every night.

I’m going to make a shopping list from this meal plan but I’m not sure about sharing it here.  This week I will have to do half my shopping on Tuesday and the other half on Thursday but from next week onwards I will be able to do it all in one shop, hopefully in the weekend so I can go without any kids.  As a home schooling Mum there is very little time in my week that I ever get to myself.

Also with sharing my shopping list here I can also share how much I spend each week and use it as a way to keep on track budget wise….. now I’ve talked myself into it here’s my list…

Deli
Dairy
500g Shaved Ham
200g Pepperoni
6 x Frankfurt’s
3 x 3L Light blue top Milk
1 L Plain yoghurt
500g Butter
300ml Cream
Dozen eggs
Meat
Baking
Sausage meat
300g Boneless Chicken
500g Chicken bone in for curry
6-8 Sausages
Roast (check specials)
Meat for filo parcels (check specials, prefer chicken or fish)
5kg Flour
Custard powder
Canned
Breads
Chickpeas
Tomato paste
4 x Wholemeal toast bread
Plain English muffins
4 x Panini
Corn Tortillas
Hot dog buns
Snacks
Other
Shapes
Rice crackers
Milo
Marmight
Filo pastry
Enchilada sauce
Toilet Paper
Pets
 Treats
Cat food
 2-3 different kinds of treat food (I know if I don't put it on the list I'll just buy it anway)

Doesn’t look like much but I do have a well-stocked pantry which has items like canned tomatoes, spaghetti, spices as well as minced garlic, ginger and curry paste in the fridge.

Where are all the fruit and vegetables? I don’t get them from the supermarket.  A friend got me onto foodbox.co.nz and I have to say, after only one week I’m already hooked.  Every Thursday a box of fruit and vegetables are delivered to my door, which are fresher than the local fruit and vegetable shop or supermarket and priced around the same as well.

Every weekend the website is updated with what will be in next weeks box so you can meal plan around it, also if there is something in there you don’t like you can request changes.  For example my family do not eat pumpkin so I’ve asked for it to be changed to more lettuce.

This weeks box will have the following: Gourmet agria potatoes, carrots, onions, broccoli, pumpkin, parsnips, garlic, mushrooms, silverbeet, Shang Hai cabbage, a baby cos lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, rhubarb, granny smith apples, lemon, gold kiwifruit, Envy apples, ambrosia apples, mandarins, pears and bananas

This weeks groceries cost:
The Food Box costs $45
Last minute dairy trip for bread $1.90
New world (Tuesday) $43.75





1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of Savoury Monkey Bread. You must share that recipe.

    ReplyDelete