Thursday 21 November 2013

Home educating with preschoolers



The hardest part of home educating for me is juggling the needs of all three of my kids, every one is very different, all at different ages and stages and all require my time and attention. 

Rocket Boy is only starting to be able to do some independent work but prefers to have me with him most of the time - except when he's rushing his work and doesn't want me to see him doing things incorrectly.  He's also easily distracted, this means Ladybug can not be at the table working at the same time as him if he's actually going to retain anything. 

Ladybug must be included in everything, she can not be left out.  If Rocket Boy is doing 'school work' she must have her own.  She likes to be kept busy, but you can not tell her how an activity must be done, she will do it her way.

Jellybean is... well a baby, she needs constant care, and all her needs have to be met by someone else.  She can not do anything for herself - as expected. 

So how do I manage my day and still meet the needs of all of my kids.  I'll start with the youngest and work my way up.  

Jellybean spends a good amount of the day in a baby carrier sleeping, or in my arms.  She's with me almost every hour of the day.  I feed on demand and as she's gotten bigger I've been able to put her in the bouncer for some of the day while I do things like hang out the washing - with her watching.  She also tries to roll around on the floor.  I try to get her to sleep on the bed at least once a day, but if it's a busy day then I know she'll sleep in the carrier, when I can't guarantee she'll get much sleep anywhere else.   As she gets older I'll work around her nap times, she's moving to around 3 a day, her large sleep in the morning, so this is when I spend most of my time with Rocket Boy. 

Ladybug currently goes to Montessori 5 mornings a week, this is when I get to have one on one time with Rocket Boy.  Although there are days she doesn't go for many reasons such as sickness, or just needing a day off, below are the ideal ways to keep Ladybug occupied and happy. I say ideal as most require forward planing, and energy on my behalf and I don't always spend that time of energy and end up playing catch up or just wing it as I go. 
  • Do 'school' with Ladybug, using Letter of the Week, or her Handwriting without Tears workbook.  Any themed preschool packs, or work sheets.  Even just paper and pens for her to write or draw with.
  • Spend time with her first, Ladybug will most likely let me have the time to work one on one with Rocket Boy if she gets her one on one first.
  • Include her in any activity I have planned for Rocket Boy.  Several of the activities or resources I use with Rocket Boy can also be extended to Ladybug such as little passports or any science experiments.
  • Play dough, cloud dough, baking, washing dishes, painting, anything tactile Ladybug LOVES.
  • Toys, I try to rotate the toys in the lounge so there is always something new that can hold Ladybugs attention, the down side of this is it usually holds Rocket Boys attention as well when i'm trying to work with him on other things.
  • Last but not least... the TV, there are days where the only thing that works is putting the TV on with Ladybug in front of it.



Untitled Untitled cleaning the oven that's where the parcel came from Untitled Untitled Untitled cloud dough Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

Rocket Boy is pretty lucky, I work hard to ensure I get one on one time with him every day to help him complete his reading, writing and math.  If I don't get this time then he gets to play instead, so it's a win-win for him.  I do need to find time with him that's not focused on school work only which we do with monthly Mummy/Son dates.

Do you home educate with preschoolers?  How do you ensure you meet the needs of all of your children each day?

No comments:

Post a Comment