Monday 8 April 2013

Handwriting Without Tears


If there is one thing that Rocket boy just doesn't enjoy, it's handwriting. This also means it's now the one thing I do not enjoy teaching. It is always a struggle and he always ends up playing up before long and we never get through everything I had planned to cover.

To try to make handwriting more fun and less of a chore I started the Handwriting without Tears program with Rocket boy.

I can't remember which blog I read about this program first but after that one blog post I needed to know more and off to Google I went.

It didn’t take long for me to realise that this was the program for Rocket Boy.  It teaches using multisensory tools, and takes a lot of pressure off the actual handwriting part and for Rocket Boy it is fun and he loves it.

The different sensory tools we use are wooden pieces, a magnetic board with magnetic pieces you can use to ‘stamp’ the letter and a ‘chalk’ piece to write the letter, a chalk board, play dough, and a work book.

There are also HEAPS of videos on youtube with instructions on using the program and the following video which shows the wet, dry, try activity is what sold me on the program.





We’re just over half way through the alphabet and I see Rocket Boy completing the current work book within the next two months.  I already have the next two work books set aside waiting for him, as well as a second copy of the first work book waiting for Ladybug.

How do you teach your children handwriting? Have you ever tried Handwriting without tears?  

No comments:

Post a Comment