Sunday 7 April 2013

Weekly Wrap Up



A weekly wrap up post is mainly for me, it’s a record for myself of what I’ve covered with Rocket Boy and Ladybug. 

This week has been all other the place due to the Easter holidays and as my local school my after school care kids go to was closed until Thursday I had them during the day which made completing any of the planned work with Rocket Boy hard to do and we only finished a couple of things at the end of the week.

While I had extra kids I got out a magnetic pattern block set out, I’ve had this set since last year but had hidden it away so this was Rocket Boys first time playing with this set. 

It didn’t take long for all the other kids to join in, but as the set was rather small they had to take turns using the blocks to make their patterns.



 
On Friday I finally got the one on one time I wanted with Rocket Boy so we started on the Blue Book program.  For his handwriting skills I got Rocket Boy to draw some circles and lines.  His first two circles were great but the more I got him to do the less circle like they got. 

Next Rocket Boy found and cut out pictures of food from some junk mail I saved for this task and then glued it onto a piece of paper.  Cutting is a great activity to do with kids as it helps with their find motor skills and hand strength, as well as co-ordination so they actually cut out what they want to cut out.  Once everything was glued on I wrote the word ‘Food’ in the centre of the paper and put a box around it then got Rocket Boy to draw a line from each picture to the box, then Rocket Boy circled all the food which he loved.

Our next activity was to read ‘Who took the Farmer’s hat?’ buy Joan L. Nodset.  If I followed the program I would have read this to Rocket Boy but as I knew he could, I got him to read it to me instead.

After reading I asked him a lot of different questions about what was in the pictures, like ‘do you think the Farmer is a nice man? Why?’

In the program I was supposed to ask him questions like ‘I saw a big round brown mouse hole’ who am I? But I decided to make it a little harder for him so I made some cards with the questions and answers on them and got him to read it to himself and match them up.  He had no problem with any of these.

 
Rocket Boy also completes a Reading Eggs lesson every morning, usually first thing and quite often before I even out of bed.  This is where he’s learnt most of his reading skills, including sight words, sounds and blending.  He’s currently up to lesson 86 and has just started learning the sound ‘sh’ and the ‘ine’ word family, line, nine, pine etc.  At the end of each lesson there is a book which the program does read to you but if I’m near I turn the sound off and make Rocket Boy read to me.



Over all it wasn’t really a bad week, but not a great one either.  I did try to push Rocket Boy a bit too much on Friday and really had hoped to complete more work than we did.  But I managed to hold myself back and let him play during the afternoon.  There is always next week after all.



No comments:

Post a Comment