Sunday 21 April 2013

Weekly Wrap Up



Another week, another wrap up.  I think Rocket Boy and I have worked out a routine as the amount of work completed each week seems to be rather consistent.  I would love it to be a lot more but I can’t expect  too much from my boy and he is progressing in all areas so that’s enough for me (that’s what I keep telling myself at least)

We started this week with a Star Wars preschool pack, even Lady bug had a go at most of it.  We rounded off the day with watching the movie Episode III Revenge of the Sith.



Rocket Boy and myself visited a toy shop while Lady Bug was at kindy one morning and I had to restrain myself as this particular toy shop focuses on educational toys, many which have a lot of open ended play (not sure if that’s a correct term, but basically the toy can be played with in a lot of different ways, and the child is only limited by their imagination)

The first was a set of foam magnetic shapes which Rocket Boy enjoyed making lots of different shapes out of, this one below is a castle.  Rocket Boy doesn’t have much of a imagination so stuck with the examples on the paper provided in the jar.



The next was impossiable to walk by as I LOVE Melissa and Doug products.  This was alphabet stamp set, with both upper and lower case.  It didn’t take Rocket Boy long to crack this open and start spelling words he knew.  This set is also good for completing work sheets or spelling games without the pressure of handwriting.




Both these toys were brought with Lady buy in mind but that doesn’t mean they won’t get used by Rocket Boy most weeks as well.
Rocket Boy also completed another weeks’ worth of lessons from the Blue Book.  As Rocket Boys reading level is more advance than the level in the blue book thanks to all his work in Reading Eggs we can complete a week’s lesson in around 20 minutes, sometimes less.   Rocket Boy handwriting is improving so much with the work sheets from this program, but as our main handwriting focus is from the Handwriting Without Tears program I don’t put any pressure on Rocket Boy on the end results of these sheets, I just ensure he starts with his pencil at the correct place.


Rocket Boy completed letter N with Handwriting Without Tears, there are less and less pages left in this book so I see us moving onto the next book very soon.


We also received our first postcard from Post Crossing from America, Rocket Boy did a great job of helping me find the city it came from and placing the sticker in the correct place.

That’s it for this week, next week is the first week of the school holidays here in New Zealand, and as I provide school holidays care I was going to give Rocket Boy a holiday as well.  I’ve since talked with the parents of my care kids and most are coming with some kind of homework so I may be able to get Rocket Boy interested in completing some work yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment