Monday 15 April 2013

Star Wars


We had a fun family day filled with Star Wars yesterday.  When hunting through some old boxes I found some preschool packs I prepared so long ago that I forgot about them.  Rocket Boy took one look at the Star Wars pack and wanted to start right away.

I made a deal with Rocket Boy, if he completed everything I asked him to out of the pack we could watch the last Star Wars movie he had yet to see, Episode III Revenge of the Sith.  This really motivated him and he was very impatience and didn’t even want to wait for me to have breakfast or get dressed before we started, tuff luck my boy, this Mumma needs food and a shower first.

I found this pack at Homeschool Creations.  One of the many sites out there thh have a huge amount of free resources you can use with your children.  It only costs you paper, ink and if you want lamination pockets.
Rocket Boy was very keen for me to take photos of everything so I could share ‘on the internet with your friends Mum’  I also had to email Poppa to make sure he saw it as well.


Below you can see Rocket boy circling the first letter of each name of the characters, this was great for pre writing and phonics. Sorting pictures of characters with shapes on them onto a card with the name of the shapes, Rocket Boy did this buy sounding out the start of the word to work out what shape it was.  Then there was some pre writing exercises and measuring the light savers, keep in mind we use the metric system in New Zealand so the measurements are in centimetres.
Ladybug had to join in so she had a go at most things but really enjoyed wiping off the whiteboard pens off the laminated cards.

Several different activities here, the shape one again (opps didn’t realise I put that in twice) and some handwriting, as you’ll know from earlier posts, Rocket Boy does not like handwriting, but was happy to do this activity (most likely he was thinking of the movie at the end).  We only did the uppercase page as the Handwriting without Tears program starts with uppercase first so it’s what he knows.  I did have to write some of the letters for him on another page first but he did every letter on that page himself and even correctly formed each one as well.  The Yoda and Darth Vader pages were just tracing the letters but still good practise.  Spot the different, and patterning.  And last, I would place a number on the card and Rocket Boy would place the correct number of star ships.


Rocket Boy was not happy with his first attempt at the letter E and did not want this shared this picture so I made sure I took a photo of his second attempt which is below.


Rocket Boy had a LOT of fun this with pack, and even Ladybug stayed at table the whole time with us.  Ladybug is showing more and more readiness to start some work of her own so if I get myself organised you’ll be seeing some new preschool posts featuring my little Ladybug soon.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, my son is obsessed with Star Wars. Thank for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete